Recipe Source: What's for Dinner in 2010 - Recipes
- 1 1/2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 can (15 1/2 ounces) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed, divided
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Gourmet Collection Sicilian Sea Salt, divided
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon McCormick Gourmet Collection Roasted Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Collection Ground Coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup whiskey or apple cider
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup each frozen carrots and green
1. Place potatoes in 2-quart saucepan. Add water to cover. Bring to
boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until potatoes
are tender. Drain and return to saucepan. Add 1/2 of the chickpeas,
milk, butter and 1/2 teaspoon of the sea salt; coarsely mash until well
blended. Set aside.
2. Brown lamb and beef in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Drain fat. Add onion, cumin, coriander, remaining 1 teaspoon sea salt and pepper; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in whiskey. Stir broth into cornstarch until smooth. Add to skillet; stir constantly until well blended. Stir in vegetables and remaining chickpeas. Spoon into 2-quart baking dish. Spread potato mixture evenly over top.
3. Bake in preheated 400°F oven 15 to 20 minutes or until mixture is bubbly and top is golden brown. If needed, place under preheated broiler to brown potato topping.
Nutrition Information per Serving: 316 Calories, Fat 14g, Protein 19g, Carbohydrates 25g, Cholesterol 63mg, Sodium 643mg, Fiber 4g