Perfect for those who crave something savory, this iron-rich walnut spinach dip made with low-fat yogurt, crumbled walnuts and chopped spinach will conquer your craving. Serve with fresh cut vegetables and whole grain crackers for a filling afternoon snack.
- 10 ounces package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained (300g)
- 1 cup pressed cottage cheese (250g)
- 1 cup California walnut pieces, toasted (250 mL)
- 2/3 cups low fat plain yogurt (150 mL)
- 3 tbsp freshly chopped dill (45 mL)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (15 mL)
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard (10 mL
- 1 tsp Worcestershire (5 mL)
- 1 tsp celery salt (5 mL)
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce (2 mL)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder (2 mL)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (2 mL)
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with fresh vegetables, crackers or a bread bowl.
Keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to one week.
Makes about 2-1/2 cups (625 mL).
Chef’s Tip: Use as a garnish on baked or roasted potatoes or as a spread on turkey sandwiches.
PER SERVING (2 tbsp/30 mL dip): about 57 cal, 4 g pro, 4 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 2 g carb, 1 g fibre, 1 mg chol, 151 mg sodium. %RDI: 4% calcium, 4% iron, 8% vit A, 6% vit C.
Recipe Source: California Walnuts