Prep Time: 15 minutes • Total Time: 3 hours 45 minutes
3 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
3 tablespoons kosher salt or sea salt
3 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons roasted cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1 Butterball® Turkey (12 to 14 pounds), thawed if frozen
6 tablespoons canola oil, divided
1. Combine all ingredients except turkey and oil. Blend well. (May
be prepared 2 to 3 days in advance. Store mixture in an airtight
container at room temperature.)
2. Remove neck and giblets from body and neck cavities of turkey; refrigerate for another use or discard. Drain juices from turkey; pat dry with paper towels. Turn wings back to hold neck skin in place. Return legs to the tucked position, if untucked. Place turkey, breast side up, on flat rack in shallow roasting pan.
3. Brush outside of the turkey with half of oil; rub outside and inside cavity with spice mixture. Cover and refrigerate 12 hours or overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 325°F.
5. Brush spiced turkey with remaining 3 tablespoons oil. Bake approximately 3 hours*, or until meat thermometer reaches 180°F when inserted in thickest part of thigh. Remove turkey from oven.
6. Let turkey stand 15 minutes before carving.
*Follow cooking times according to package directions; times vary by size of turkey.
Tip: For a spicier rub, increase crushed red pepper to 1 tablespoon and add 1 or 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper.
Recipe Source: Butterball