I had these at a Christmas party and they were awesome, I just had to have the recipe!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons almond extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup pistachio nuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat butter with an electric mixer at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add sugar; mix well. Add egg; beat well. Add almond extract, lemon zest and fennel seeds; mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to butter mixture; beat well. Stir in pistachio nuts (dough will be stiff).
Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. If desired, flatten balls slightly and sprinkle with additional chopped pistachios. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly on baking sheets; remove to cooling racks and cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Garnish with chopped pistachios.