Beef with a slightly tangy sauce is good served over brown rice or the more traditional noodles. I received this recipe at a recipe swap at least 15 years ago.
- 6 Tablespoons butter divided
- 2 Tablespoons onion, minced
- 2 pounds beef (I use sirloin) sliced thin
- 1/2 pound mushrooms
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- Cooked noodles
- Melt 3 Tablespoons of the butter in a heavy skillet. Add onions and cook until transparent. Remove and set aside.
- Turn the meat to medium-high, add the beef and cook, turning until brown on all sides. Remove the beef and set aside with the onions.
- Add the remaining 3 Tablespoons of butter to the skillet. Stir in mushrooms, cover and cook three minutes. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Wisk the sour cream and add to the pan, but do not boil.
- Return beef and onions to the pan and heat through.
- Serve over hot noodles
Cooking tip: If you freeze the beef slightly it will be easier to slice thin.