A quick and easy recipe for simple, tasty classic hors d'oeuvres with Smoked Salmon and Caviar. Enjoy them any time. Make a few or as many as you like.
Photo by Chuck Bates
- 1 plain bagle or unsalted, unflavored crackers.
- 1 small package of Smoked Salmon
- 1 small package Cream Cheese
- 1 jar Caviar
- 1 jar small Capers
- 1 slice finely chopped red onion (optional)
- 1 finely chopped hardboiled egg (optional)
- Cut the bagel in half across the center so that you have two half-moon shaped pieces. Slice those pieces to make small round 1/4" thick pieces.
- Lightly butter the pieces.
- Place the pieces on a cookies sheet and toast at 350F until crisp. (or just use crackers)
- Remove from oven and top with a a thin layer of cream cheese.
- Top this with a small slice of Smoked Salmon sized to fit.
- Top the salmon with a dollop of caviar.
- Add 2 - 3 capers.
- Sprinkle with red onion and/or egg (optional)
Homemade bagel toasts are great. Commercial toasts are often flavored or very expensive. If you don't have time or want the trouble, you can substitute unsalted, unflavored crackers like water crackers. These are often just a bit large. This recipe is also great on untoasted bagel slices. Onion and egg are best served on the side. Let your guests add them as they like or serve a variety so that they can choose.